Sleeping Tips For Better Marathon Results
There is a direct connection between the amount and quality of sleep during your marathon training schedule and the performance on the road or track. Most runners need to learn how to sleep better during their marathon training program, in order to improve their marathon running results.
Watch this short clip about the importance of the amount of sleeping hours for athletes, and the quality of sleep needed for collage athletes to achieve best performance.
Sleeping Well Can Reduce Sports Injuries
The muscles are being built by the body during the night, the growth hormone is released while we are asleep. The long runs and strict marathon running plans all focus on the heart and lungs, the stretches focus on the flexibility of the muscles, but the real improvement and growth is happening at night.
So part of the marathon training program should be focused on the sleeping schedule and to make sure you get enough sleep. You need to try and sleep between 7-8 hours of sleep daily. The Help Guide has summarized some sleep strategies which can also help long distance runners.
Good sleep strategies are essential to deep, restorative sleep you can count on, night after night. By learning to avoid common enemies of sleep and trying out a variety of healthy sleep-promoting techniques, you can discover your personal prescription to a good night’s rest.
The key is to experiment. What works for some might not work as well for others. It’s important to find the sleep strategies that work best for you.
The first step to improving the quality of your rest is finding out how much sleep you need. How much sleep is enough? While sleep requirements vary slightly from person to person, most healthy adults need at least 8 hours of sleep each night to function at their best. Read more..
Sleeping Tips For Marathon Training Schedule
Would a professional runner go running without a sport watch? Would a marathon runner go on a long run without to measure how long it took? or what was his heart rate? For the same reason many athletes use a sleeping tracker for runners to measure their sleeping schedule and improve it.
A sleeping tracker is just like your sports watch it records all your night activity, and sends it wireless for you to watch on your computer or smart-phone. A sleep tracker measures how many hours of sleep you had, how many times did you wake up, how well was your sleep, and presents all the data on a easy to read spreadsheet graph.
Here are some sleeping tips marathon runners might want to follow. These tips will help runners gain more sleeping hours and reach higher quality hours of sleep. Do not discard these tips some of them can raise your level of melatonin production at night.
- Make time for 7-8 hours of night sleep.
- Try and keep a steady sleeping routine – Go to bed at the same time, set the alarm to a specific time in the morning.
- Do not eat a heavy meal just before you go to sleep.
- Do not drink too much liquids, it will send you to the bathroom in the middle of the night or disturb you all night.
- Avoid Caffeine and Alcohol both disturb the natural sleeping ‘clock’.
- Keep bedroom quite. Block noises or mask them with a low static noise. Use a special white sound machine to mask other noises and sleep better.
- Keep bedroom dark. The body sleeps better when the night is ‘darker’.
- So close the TV, shut down the PC screen saver, close all lights.
- Use a pillow and a comfortable bed. Tight cotton bedding sheets.
- Keep bedroom cool (not cold), a brisk of fresh night air from an open window will be great. (Unless light and noise will enter too).
- Avoid back-lit electronics (like the iPad) they light the room and lower melatonin production. Prefer reading from a device which is not back-lit, like the Amazon Kindle Touch readers.
- During day time, open window curtains and try to absorb as much sunlight as you can.
- Use light box therapy if your winters have many gloomy short dark days.
- Relax. Empty your mind from your work tasks.
- Make love.
- Sleep Tracker For Marathon Runners
- Best Leg Massager For Marathon Runners
- Disposable Running Apparel For Marathons
- All About Correct Foot Landing Technique
- How To Strengthen Marathon Runners Core Muscles
Sharing this post takes less than a second, click ‘like’ below to check it yourself